A gas stove poses potential risks from carbon monoxide poisoning. That’s because a gas-heated stove, like any other source of fuel combustion, produces carbon monoxide, as a byproduct of combustion. So a gas stove is not immune to the same risks as any other combustion appliance.

To pose a health risk, carbon monoxide would either be escaping from your gas stove or the exhaust from using your gas stove would not be vented properly.

At Northeastern Fireplace & Design, we are serious about sharing our knowledge and experience in the service of keeping our customers safe and healthy in their homes as they enjoy the benefits of gas stoves.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas.

Many people who experience poisoning from it exhibit symptoms. These might include dizziness, fatigue, headache, nausea or irregular breathing. Although many people have CO detectors in their homes as a smart safeguard and protection, Northeastern Fireplace & Design is here to say that common-sense awareness is a helpful tool. And when it comes to proper use and care of combustion sources, we can offer time-tested guidance.

Let’s take a look at gas stoves and similar appliances. They can be great sources of heating. First, it’s a good practice to have your appliance properly installed by a professional and maintained by professional care. That’s where Northeastern Fireplace & Design can serve you well. We can make certain that fittings are secure and that venting of combustion exhaust gases is taking place as it should.

As one expert put it, “Re-burn is the most deadly situation and is typically what contributes to the few true carbon monoxide fatalities that do occur. Re-burn happens when the flue does not work properly, is blocked or disconnected, or is being back-drafted by some other force like an attic or exhaust fan. . .”

Choose us for your inspection!

We will inspect your system to make sure that components such as the flue, the damper and chimney lining are all in good working order. Plus, you will especially want to make sure your venting system is free of any obstructions. Obstructions prevent carbon monoxide from being properly emitted to the outdoors.

Our trained professionals can help you add a layer of safety and protection to your home. Members of our staff receive vigorous training and stay abreast of current regulatory guidance and standards of best practice. We have technicians certified by the National Fireplace Institute. In addition, thousands of satisfied customers throughout the Capital District, western Massachusetts, eastern New York and beyond serve as our greatest testimonial of quality service and workmanship.

Northeastern Fireplace & Design understands the limited role of preventive maintenance and care. We realize homeowners themselves assume the primary responsibility for reducing risks from carbon monoxide or any other hazard. Just the same, we welcome your inquiries or calls related to any concerns you might have about your gas stove and potential carbon monoxide risks. When in doubt, err on the safe side. Give us a call at (518) 767-9314.