Our Company Blog

Have Your Furnace System Inspected Before Cooler Weather Arrives

Keeping your home heated during the cold New York winter is extremely important. Not only do you want to keep you and your family safe and warm, but it can be expensive if the system isn’t running efficiently. That’s why it is extremely important to have your furnace system inspected every year before you turn it on for the first time.

Get Your Furnace Inspected

Why are furnace system inspections important?Furnace System Inspected Image - Albany NY - Northeastern Fireplace

There are many problems associated with your furnace system that may arise throughout the winter. The most devastating problems are the ones that affect your health. Carbon monoxide is a gas that can become toxic if exposed to enough of it. There are over 10,000 carbon monoxide-related health incidents reported every year. A majority of these incidents are due to faulty furnace exhaust systems which leaked carbon monoxide into people’s houses. The best way to be sure your furnace is safe when you fire up it up for the first time this year is to have it inspected and catch this problem before it happens.

Additional Health Issues

Other health issues can also arise when furnace filters are not installed correctly or not changed often enough. If this happens, your furnace can start sending dirty, unfiltered air through the entire house.

Another reason it is important to get your furnace inspected annually is to make sure that it is running efficiently. If the inside of your furnace gets dirty or dusty, it can cause your furnace to have to work harder to create heat, making your furnace less energy efficient. Using more energy usually means that you will be paying more to heat your house.

Finally, your furnace works hard throughout the winter and there are a large number of mechanical and electrical issues that could arise. A lot of issues can be prevented if caught early enough. Having your furnace breakdown in the middle of a cold spell can cause big problems for your family and your home. Cold temperatures can be dangerous. Even if you are indoors, if there is nothing to heat your home, temperatures inside can drop quickly. This can be especially dangerous to young children and the elderly who are more susceptible to the cold.

Another costly issue can occur if your furnace breaks down while you are away from your home. If your house becomes cold enough, your water pipes can become vulnerable to freezing and burst. Once a pipe inside your house bursts, the expenses start to add up very quickly.

Contact Us

The safety of your family and home is important to us. That’s why now is the perfect time to contact Northeastern Fireplace and Design to set up an appointment to inspect your furnace system today.

By Joe Shear on September 8th, 2017 | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Leave a Comment

How to Stay Safe from Carbon Monoxide

It’s not as if carbon monoxide knocks on your door, presents a calling card that says “Danger: I’m CO,” enters your living space — and starts threatening all the occupants. CO’s threats and dangers are not necessarily that blatant and obvious. Nevertheless, CO does in fact pose serious health and safety risks in the home. Since it is odorless and colorless, it is silent and stealthy.

What’s to be done?

How to Stay Safe from Carbon Monoxide img - Albamy NY - Northeastern Fireplace & DesignNortheastern Fireplace & Design would like to share some of the benefits of our training and experience on this important matter. One way to stay safe from potential carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a working, efficient CO monitor. This affords some practical, common-sense protection. But don’t you want to prevent the CO monitor from going off in the first place? Consequently, it’s wise to identify and remedy any sources of carbon monoxide poisoning in your living space.

Sources of fuel combustion pose a threat of carbon monoxide poisoning. CO is a normal by-product of combustion, whether it’s from a fireplace, a stove, an oven, a hearth or a furnace. The use of either central heating or a space heater can bring a health threat from CO. To pose a health risk, carbon monoxide can either escape from your heating appliance or not be vented properly.

Our expertise

Northeastern Fireplace & Design has the expertise and experience to evaluate whether your fireplace, chimney, or heating system is prone to these risks.

Exposure to CO can induce dizziness, fatigue, headache, nausea or irregular breathing. We make no claim to being healthcare providers, but we do know fireplaces and chimneys. We can investigate whether there’s evidence of looming carbon monoxide threats. As for carbon monoxide sources in the home, where do we tend to look? We look at chimneys, furnaces, wood- or pellet-burning fireplaces or stoves, and gas appliances. We inspect venting systems to see if they are free of obstructions.

One way to stay safe from CO is to have a professional check out your gas appliances. Northeastern Fireplace & Design can make certain that fittings are secure and that venting is taking place as it should. Our team of professionals and associates undergo rigorous training and stay abreast of regulatory guidance and standards. We have technicians certified by the National Fireplace Institute. Thousands of satisfied customers throughout the Capital District, western Massachusetts, eastern New York and beyond attest to our expertise and competence.

We are here for you

Northeastern Fireplace & Design recognizes the limited role of preventive maintenance. We know that homeowners assume the chief responsibility for reducing risks from carbon monoxide. Still, we are pleased to share our professional knowledge, as needed, on your behalf. At the same time, we welcome inquiries or calls related to carbon monoxide concerns you might have.

Northeastern Fireplace & Design’s professionals understand the processes and mechanics of combustion in the home to look for silent sources of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Over the course of 35+ years of superior service throughout the region, we’ve expanded our knowledge and our network.

Call us today at (518) 767-9314 to tap our brains on matters of carbon monoxide safety related to your chimney, fireplace, or related accessories.

By Joe Shear on April 24th, 2017 | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Leave a Comment