Carbon monoxide and gas appliances Image - Albany NY - Northeastern Fireplace & DesignEveryone knows that summertime is the prime season to prepare for a safe and warm winter. Winter. You read that right. It sounds counter intuitive, but it makes perfect sense. Get things in order now, when the help is available and when you are not in a crisis mode. Naturally, we understand that human nature does not always work that way. We delay. We procrastinate. We deny the presence of problems not confronting us immediately. However, when it comes to risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and the proper operation of gas appliances, think twice. Err on the side of safety.

Your home may have a fireplace, gas insert, clothes dryer, boiler or water heater fueled by natural gas. In the clear and brightness of a summer day, have your gas-fueled appliance checked for proper operation and appropriate venting to the outdoors. At Northeastern Fireplace & Design, we are fully conversant with the potential hazards of carbon monoxide related to gas appliances.

You might say, “Our home is safe because we have a CO monitor.” That’s all well and good. It’s commendable. But people standing on train tracks don’t get hurt by the caboose. It’s the engine that does them in. In other words, address the cause of problems, not merely the after-effects or the measurement of the danger.

There are several angles to consider regarding carbon monoxide and the safety of gas appliances.

There’s the operation of the appliance itself. Have a Northeastern Fireplace & Design professional inspect fittings, connections and all working parts to make sure your gas appliance is in good working order. We know what to look for.

There’s also the emissions aspect. Enlist Northeastern Fireplace & Design to make sure vents, dampers, flues, and all chimney components are free of obstruction and allow for thorough emitting of combustion by-products, including carbon monoxide. These sorts of precautions are recommended by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA).

When your gas appliance works correctly, you’ll see a blue flame. But if something is amiss (such as rust on the burner, dirt in the fuel lines), you run the risk of emitting carbon monoxide as a result of incomplete combustion.

Northeastern Fireplace & Design can inspect to see that gases are venting properly from your gas appliance.

If your appliance has not been properly installed by a trained professional, many manufacturers claim they are not responsible if an appliance causes injury through monoxide poisoning or if it is involved in a fire. Similarly, there have been reports of insurance companies denying claims because of improperly installed gas appliances.

Come to the professionals at Northeastern Fireplace & Design. Our experienced gas appliance experts are good listeners and good detectives. We can identify problems and — more importantly — their causes. Our highly trained service representatives know how to render expert advice and guidance on all matters related to gas appliances, including potential issues related to carbon monoxide. Contact us online anytime or call (518) 767-9314. Feel free to stop by our showroom as well!