Any source of fuel combustion poses the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a normal by-product of combustion, whether it’s from a fireplace, a stove, an oven, a hearth or a furnace. The use of either central heating or a space heater can bring a health threat from CO. To pose a health risk, carbon monoxide can either escape from your heating appliance or not be vented properly.Carbon monoxide is a real threat to your health Image - Albany NY - Northeastern Fireplace and Design

At Northeastern Fireplace & Design, we make no claim of being medical experts, but we sure know heating appliances. And we are serious about sharing our knowledge and experience in the service of keeping our customers safe and healthy in their homes as they enjoy the benefits of heating products.

CO is odorless and colorless, but people who experience poisoning from it do exhibit symptoms. These might include dizziness, fatigue, headache, nausea or irregular breathing. We’re not trying to push any panic buttons here. Many people do have CO detectors in their homes as a smart safeguard and protection. We’re simply saying that common-sense awareness is a helpful tool. Moreover, when it comes to proper use and care of combustion sources, that’s where we can offer some guidance and advice.

Let’s take a look at gas appliances. They can be great sources of heating. But it is a good practice to have your appliance properly installed by a professional and maintained by professional care. That’s where Northeastern Fireplace & Design can serve you well. We can make certain that fittings are secure and that venting is taking place as it should. That’s key. To add further assurance, our associates at Northeastern Masonry & Chimney can inspect your chimney system to make sure that components such as the flue, the damper and chimney lining are all in good working order. Plus, you will especially want to make sure your venting system is free of any obstructions that would prevent CO from being properly emitted to the outdoors.

The point is, look to professionals to add a layer of safety and protection to your home. Members of our staff receive vigorous training and stay abreast of current regulatory guidance and standards of best practice. We have technicians certified by the National Fireplace Institute. Thousands of satisfied customers throughout the Capital District, western Massachusetts, eastern New York and beyond serve as our greatest testimonial of quality service and workmanship.

Northeastern Fireplace & Design understands the limited role of preventive maintenance and care. We realize homeowners themselves assume the primary responsibility for reducing risks from carbon monoxide or any other hazard. Just the same, we welcome your inquiries or calls related to any concerns you might have. Call us at (518) 767-9314. We’ll gladly share our professional knowledge — and seek out additional information, as needed, on your behalf.